How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

West Virginia Law: We bought a property there and at the

Customer Question

West Virginia Law: We bought a property there and at the time gave my stepfather a lifetime right ... because of a pending court case a deed was not filed ... it took time to find the relative we bought it from but since then my dad filed a quit claim deed as if they deeded the property to him and says he owns it ... My relative is now located and the deed will be signed and filed ... also we have the paperwork done with the attorney when bought.. Does his action violate his life time right or does he even have one now ? What to do ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Your father has filed a competing deed to the property (the deed he filed claims that he owns the property outright).If he refuses to sign a document voiding the quitclaim deed, you will need to file what is called a "quiet title" action in civil court to contest his claim to the property and establish your own.You really need to hire a lawyer at this point - your father has created a "cloud on title" and you need legal help to clean this up properly. If your father is willing to cooperate it should be relatively inexpensive, but if he refuses, it can be somewhat time consuming.