Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

If I work in a family business and my father and uncle are the owners. Is it discriminatio

Customer Question

If I work in a family business and my father and uncle are the owners. Is it discrimination if my uncle is the president of the company and him and my father aren't getting along and he chooses to then isolate me and keep me out of things because I am my fathers son, and I am then not getting the same opportunities as my cousins and he is trying to take away my job?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately no. Employment discrimination relates back to the Civil Rights Act, among other laws. In order to claim discrimination that is protected in this country, the actions against that individual must be predicated on the person's age (if over 40), race, gender or disability (falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act - ADA). I wish that I had better news for you, but based on what you have shared with me, this would not be a situation in which there are statutory protections for discrimination. This falls into the category of business ethics - and there are no real legal protections in place for that situation. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer positively as well so that I can receive credit for my work. I wish you all the best going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!