How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had his vehicle repossessed and the tow company sent

Customer Question

My son had his vehicle repossessed and the tow company sent a letter stating that he needed to come and pick up his personal belongings. My son is a disabled veteran and was admitted to the hospital shortly after the repossession for medical complications. He was released from the hospital about 3 weeks later. He contacted the tow company and was told that they did not have his personal belongings and that they no longer had the vehicle. Who is responsible for the return of his personal items, the tow company or the finance company.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
It would be the finance company / lender as the tow company is merely the lender's agent. The lender is not entitled to keep his personal property. If your son wants to recover personal property from the vehicle, he can demand it from the lender. The lender should either return that property to him or else allow him access to the vehicle so he can take the personal property himself. I would suggest that your son immediately contact the lender by phone and by letter to that effect. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off. If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK". Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lender is Ford motor credit and I have tried to communicate

With some one in authority to help me. They have and continue to give me the run around. Please advise .

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
If they do not want to work with you voluntarily, then you will need to sue them for civil conversion. You can do this in small claims court. I would include the towing company just in case Ford says there was no personal property in the vehicle and they point the finger to the tow company.
The link above should help you get started.