Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was admitted to a subacute nursing facility after a stay

Customer Question

I was admitted to a subacute nursing facility after a stay in the hospital for surgery. Upon my arrival I notified the nurses of a person I did not want knowing I was here. I received a phone call from this said person stating that they gave her my room number in the subacute division. She left this information on my voicemail. 3 days later a nurse ran into my room and told me this person was at the nurses station and to stay in my room. Is this not a violation of my hipaa privacy?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. HIPAA rules allow a hospital to disclose patients' names and other directory information to anyone asking for the patient by name or to the clergy. Patients do not need to sign up to be included in the directory, but must be allowed to "opt out" and choose not to be listed.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
So, if you opted out of being included in directory information - - and there is documented proof of that - - there could be an issue with what the hospital did.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Here's a link that you can read from HHS regarding this issue: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/facility_directories/483.html
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
If you believe the hospital violated the HIPAA rules, you can file a complaint with the Dept. of Health and Human Services.