My mother owns a Christian retreat. We have been contacted…

Customer Question
My mother owns a Christian...
My mother owns a Christian retreat. We have been contacted by RIGHTCORP that someone had downloaded copyright music using our IPS address. I received about 25 emails consecutively from this company about copyright infringement. I called the number that was in the email because that type of music is forbidden on the premises and did not think any of our guest would do that to us. We are located across the street from a university so I thought a student may have hacked us. Our strongest wireless signal is password ***** and discovered we had a signal that was not protected. It is a very weak signal that did not reach the parking lot. All the networks are not password *****
As I said I called Rightcorp the day I received the emails and they demanded a settlement of over $900 or they would sue us. That was 3 weeks ago. I contacted the leader who bought the guest in to stay the week this infringement happened. He claimed he spoke to a lawyer friend and they told him we did not have to pay. I stopped taking their calls until today. The are demanding money today or they will start litigation against us.
I know that copyright laws should not be violated. The reseach I have done say we are liable. DO we have to pay and can they sue us. We do not have $900.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2015
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney
My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details. I am very sorry for this dilemma. Can they sue you? They could. That is, if they have a good faith basis to believe you violated their intellectual property rights they could sue you in federal court. That said, what you're describing you are not liable. So if they were to take the time and effort to file suit I would expect, ultimately, for their lawsuit to fail. If you did not knowingly download their property you are not liable. Now, if they were to file suit you would want to have an attorney assist you with the defense... However, what you're describing I highly doubt they even bother to file suit. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
P. Simmons, Attorney