How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can not get paid I did. charged 2000. have 1500 in

Customer Question

Can not get paid for job I did. charged 2000. have 1500 in labor and material.want to take her to small claim court, dont know how to do it. want to post on her web site letting everone in future know what kind of person this is. I at least want my money back. job at blue springs mo.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. First off, don't make any post on her website as that may negatively affect your litigation hopes of recovery. Second, and to the point of the question, you can start a small claims law suit by filing a petition with the clerk of the small claims division of the circuit court in the county in which the dispute arises. They will have a form that you file out that will begin the process. It will request information about your personally as well as the basis of the claim. This petition will prompt the court to issue a summons. This summons must be served on the defendant (normally by the sheriff office in that county). The clerk can walk you through that process as well. The defendant will have 10 days to file a written response opposing the law suit. A hearing date will be established by the court in which both parties are required to attend. You can have an attorney, but are not required to have an attorney. You need to bring with you any and all evidence (including receipts, contracts, pictures, etc.) that you have to prove your case. You need to also be thinking about how to defend against her defenses - which will certainly or likely be along the lines of, "he didn't do the job right". We know that to be false, but you need to be able to get around that argument. After the hearing, you will normally receive a judgment within 30 days in written form. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any additional questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this issue. Thanks

Related Legal Questions