How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4498
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to get a Federal injunction to stop a state

Customer Question

Is it possible to get a Federal injunction to stop a state from holding a sentencing hearing to hear a complaint on the Denial of Sixth Ammendment protection?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately not. The federal court cannot take jurisdiction over a state court matter until someone has exhausted their remedies in state court. This means filing all possible appeals in state court as well as any post conviction remedies (like habeas corpus). Only when those other avenues in state court are exhausted and there is nothing more that can be done there can a person file a petition for habeas corpus in federal court for a constitutional deprivation. Until then, a federal court has no jurisdiction and is in fact prohibited from issuing an injunction against a state court matter:
Sorry I can't give you better news.

Related Legal Questions