How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4823
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There, I have a question about restoring my right to

Customer Question

Hello there,
I have a question about restoring my right to own firearm. In 1996 I was arrested for H-S11379 and H-S 11550a in 12/1998 the county of Santa Clara and the State of Cailf. Granted me a record clearance...This was my first and last time with any trouble with the law. I never even gotten a speeding ticket. I live in Az. sometimes its scary place and law enforcement. can be very slow to respond
***** ***** ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Just so I understand correctly, you were charged, but the charges were dropped?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pleaded Nolo and the courts set aside the verdict of guilty. in 2002
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
Having the conviction set aside or expunged in that manner does not automatically restore your right to possess a firearm. You will have to get your firearm rights back under a Rule 17(b) motion, which asks the court to reduce the conviction to a misdemeanor, or specifically restore your rights to possess a firearm under California Penal Code §12021(c)(3). Until you do one of those things, you run the risk of being arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm, either by the state or the feds. My suggestion would be to hire a California lawyer to handle this since it will have to be hashed out in California state court.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my asnwer before you go. Good luck.