Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a free website through NAAIP

Customer Question

I have a free website through NAAIP for insurance which is distributed to about 5,000 agents. Recently I have been getting notices that I am 'pirating' quoting software from Compulife Software. NAAIP says that Compulife is targeting around 400 agents and asked us to contact GoDaddy and 'permanently forward with masking' in regard to our domain. I just wonder if I should take it down or what. I've never gotten any leads from the quoting from NAAIP (except for the guy from Compulife), and I've disabled the quoting from the site as I'm tired of being harassed, but I'm still being threatened.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If for some reason you are using their software without proper license, then they could sue you for infringement of their copyright rights. If the domain is doing you any good, then you should follow NAAIP directions and forward it with masking, but if it is not helpful to you then it is best to just shut it down and avoid any future issues with these people. If you are no longer quoting or disabled the quoting, then you need to inform them that the site does not use their software and to cease and desist further contact with you to get them to stop contacting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have my own domain name, which is what you call 'forwarding and masking'(?) so that hasn't helped. Out of the 5,000 agents only a couple hundred are getting the letters so maybe that's the reason rather than a remedy. I figured out that much myself so I'm not really satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please refund.
Thank you for your reply. As we have no idea what a customer knows or does not know unless the customer tells us, I apologize for not knowing exactly what you already knew. You asked if you should take it down or what, I suggested if you are not using the computing software to take it down, which was in response to the direct question you asked.
I wish you all the best and I will submit it to customer service for you to get a refund.