Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My wife embezzled money from the county in the state of Iowa

Customer Question
which she lives 28 years...
My wife embezzled money from the county in the state of Iowa which she lives 28 years ago served 6 months in prison paid all state and county court cost and fines and satisfied her restitution and the county signed off on her case. No other legal problems in 28 years. my question is as man and wife living under the same roof am I Legally able to own and have firearms in my possession I have all proper licenses and permits, and are able to carry concealed weapons license.I have them locked in safe with the only key
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2015
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
Q: my question is as man and wife living under the same roof am I Legally able to own and have firearms in my possession I have all proper licenses and permits, and are able to carry concealed weapons license.I have them locked in safe with the only key
ANS: Yes, I am not finding anything in IOWA law that would prevent you from having a firearm in your possession based on any criminal history of your wife so long as you have all proper licenses and permits. The lock and key safety method is applicable for minors under the following IOWA law:
724.22 PERSONS UNDER TWENTY-ONE -- SALE, LOAN, GIFT,
MAKING AVAILABLE --
7. Access to loaded firearms by children restricted --
penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to store or leave a
loaded firearm which is not secured by a trigger lock mechanism,
placed in a securely locked box or container, or placed in some other
location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure from a
minor under the age of fourteen years, if such person knows or has
reason to believe that a minor under the age of fourteen years is
likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of
the minor's parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor,
the minor lawfully gains access to the firearm without the consent of
and the minor exhibits the firearm in a public place in an unlawful
manner, or uses the firearm unlawfully to cause injury or death to a
person. This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the
firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person. A violation
of this subsection is punishable as a serious misdemeanor.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer
good job
Thank you. Please remember to assign feedback rating by selecting one of the following options on your end of the portal so JA will compensate me for my time:
"OK Service"
"Good Service"
"Excellent Service"
Thank you.
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney