How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I entered a verbal agreement with two sisters to move in te

Customer Question

I entered a verbal agreement with two sisters to move in te thirds sisters home. She is a adult with down syndrome. I lived her for 1 1/2 years. Are agreement was they private paide me 700. A month and when to mother of the 3 sisters passed on. They would put the house in both my name and the down syndromes name and the two sisters would sign over 2002 toyota camry because it was easier the down syndrome adult to get in and out of. Because of the agreement that the house would eventually be ours, i have put a lot of work into the house. Put up new fence took down tree. Remodeled one bedroom new window added insultation. Plus a ton of sewing for te down syndrome person. Now the sisters are not agreeing to turn the house over to me. Instead they want to sell it. Can i put anykind of lien on this house to recoup money i spent along with all the materials?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sisters live in. Oklahoma. They took their down syndrome sister for a vacation to oklahome for a month. But i think they were never planning to bring her back to me. They do have power of attoney over her but her medical need aren,t being met so im calling social service on her tomorrow to check up on her. But the sister think that if they have their sister then i have to move out of their mothers house and not pay me
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. This is a tough situation to be in. In there anything in writing that you can point to which would discuss these terms, or everything was oral?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is proof the i was take care of dawn in her mothers house. Thru dawns advocate thru developmental pathways. And the sisters agreed to private pay for dawns expenses. Dawns social security check covered the basic utlties,phone, cable internet trash service. And clothing. There hasnt been any funds left over to pay my salary. For the last 5 months. i wasnt worried because eventally the house would be mine. I was appointed by socil secuity to pay he daily bills. Because monica was paying a
Some of the money
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am specifically referring to the agreement for the home--is there anything in writing, even via email, texts, or chat? Please advise!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was nothing in writing i dont use facebook i normally just text off of my phone. My son was with me when we made the aggreement. Because it also involved him and his wife staying at my house. My son and i build a shed in my old house backyard to put the rest of my belonging in. So that he and his wife and now baby would have room for all of their belonging. Iwe build the shed because there wasnt cupboards storage space and no garage to put my belonging in
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up. The answer that I will have to provide you with will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger.
An oral agreement, at least as far as real estate is concerned, is generally not binding. Real estate agreements have to be in writing, and if there is no evidence, even outside evidence such as a reference via email to this agreement (where the other person admits and agrees), you do not have grounds to demand that the property is yours. In addition any improvement made, such as repairs or putting up a shed, becomes property of the land owner, and they do not have to pay you or cover your expenses. Furthermore, unless there is a written agreement in place stating that they will pay you for the work on the property, you cannot place a lien against it since you are not a contractor that was contracted to do the work. I wish I had a more favorable answer but I must be honest with my review.
Dimitry, Esq.