Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am a Pennsylvania State resident with a concealed permit

Customer Question

I am a Pennsylvania State resident with a concealed permit to carry a firearm. I am also am elected Pennsylvania State Constable, trained by the state and have passed the firearms course. I am on the job daily. I carry on and off the job. What are my carry rights nationally? In training I am told that I have the right legally to carry in New Jersey, but they qualify that with "I WOUN'T". Whatever that means.
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
The problem with gun rights is that there is no national standard for reciprocity from state to state. Some states honor another state's conceal and carry licenses, and some don't.
.
This is a link to a reciprocity map of the US which will allow you to input PA as your state and that it is a resident license to see what states offer reciprocity so you don't have to be concerned about carrying there.
.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
.
.
But according to my research, NJ does not honor any other state's permits although your training office could have been referring to some type of exception for law enforcement.
.
.
thanks