I was a friend of a lawyer. He does traffic tickets in nj…

Customer Question
I was a friend of...
I was a friend of a lawyer. He does traffic tickets in nj and ny state.
I hired him who owns his firm to represent my sister.
His firm did a horrible job she got full points and extra fines and costs.
I posted a negative review on yellp. He saw my review amd is wanting to sue me for slander. I hired him and facilitated the paid transaction although I was not his client. He says the negative post cost him damages (although there are many negative comments on his firm). Is there any liability to me? I hired him to represent my sister she paid I wrote the post stating "bad experience no result ". Whih is true.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/21/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am afraid that there is liability to you. If you were not his client but posted a bad review, he can claim slander as your comments are designed to harm him and his reputation but you yourself have no first-hand knowledge of what happened. By that I mean, unless you were physically present in court to see that he failed, you have no idea why he was unable to obtain a better deal. Therefore, his threat against you may have merit. Keep in mind that hiring an attorney is not the same as being represented by one--just because you paid him does not make him owe you any duty as his duty is to the sister and not to you. Now, if your sister posted honest feedback, it is arguably not slander, but your situation is different and therefore his threat to you may have merit. Sincerely, ***** *****
He is sueing for liable Bc although I hired , recommended his firm and him and facilitated the transaction my sister paid the firm and he says I was not the client so I could not write a negative post on yelp. Mean time he has many negative reviews and our experience was horrible. I hired him but he represented my sister. What if she used my account to write the review.
Even though I hired him I still have liability?
How must he prove any financial losses to this post?
Hi, Please notice that I stated the same thing. Unless you were physically present for all interactions, you cannot rate him poorly purely based on your sister's statement. A good example may be, and mind you that this is an example--if your sister refused to accept a plea deal, or was disruptive in court, the judge could find against her even despite best efforts of the judge. You have liability not because you hired him, but because you said something that you have no idea is true or not, and that gives him grounds to claim defamation. Your hiring does not give you a right to post an opinion about his work if you were not there to see it. In case of attacking his livelihood or business damages are presumed so he does not have to prove them to win. Sincerely, ***** *****
I was involved in the case. There was no communication to her or if any it was sub par prior to the case. They lost the case and did not even send a letter of the results. It was a horrible experience.
Hi, I am sorry to hear that, truly. But I still see this as a situation where the other attorney can indeed file against you for damages. It is your choice as far as what to do with this information, but if you were hoping that this was just an idle threat, this does not appear to be such a case (if it were, I would have stated so). Perhaps removing that opinion would be prudent. Sincerely, ***** *****
I removed it but as hiring him i do feel as his result and reviews after I looked are poor. I have the first amendment right to state my opinion. He is a fraud and I should depose him to expose his fraudulent behavior. We don't even think someone went to the hearing. Never got a letter from the firm of the resits.
In that case your sister is free to post her direct opinion of her first-hand treatment. As a client, she is permitted to rate him if she wishes to do so. But as you were an unrelated third party (which is how the law would see you), then you are vulnerable to suit.
Please take care and do not forget to positively rate my for my work. Should you need me again, please feel free to request me directly by name.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
I'm sorry to question the opinion. But I have to disagree. I recommended this person, hired him and arranged for and facilitated payment. How can I not write about my bad experience?
I am not an un related 3rd party as my sister would never used him wo my recommendation and approval to hire him.
I was activly involved in the process.
You are free to disagree. However you asked a question on this website pertaining to the facts provided, and I provided you with my input. You are of course free to disregard my information, as I am not your attorney, but the fact that you chose to remove the posting as I suggested shows that while you may disagree, you are considering the words that I provided as persuasive. I do wish you well, and please do not forget to positively rate my answers to you based on the service that you received. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.