How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55314
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the administrator to my late fathers estate. He died intestate.

Customer Question

I am the administrator to my late fathers estate. He died intestate. There are 5 heirs. 2 are adopted. There is a small property in Maine that 2 of the heirs who live in TX have no interest in (verbal).The remaining 3 biological children live closer and have an interest in the camp. I wish to keep it in the family for future generations. I wish to convey the property to the 3 bio. sibs. after asking the 2 step children in TX to sign a letter of relinquishment. I am not able to contact 1 bio. sib. at all. Can I convey it anyway? Is there other hurdles that must be crossed 1st? I am from NJ. The camp is in North Maine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. As soon as the step children sign the relinquishment, you can convey the property to the 3 biological children. You do not have to be in contact with the biological child that you have not been able to contact in order to transfer title to the property to the 3 biological children. You have the full authority to do this as administrator. Only if you were not wanting to give the biological child with whom you can't make contact their share would you have an issue and need to ask for the court's approval. But, as long as you will be distributing it to the 3 biological heirs, you have the authority to do so. You simply need to sign a quit claim deed as administrator of the estate transferring title from your late dad to the 3 of you. The deed needs to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. The transferrees (i.e., the 3 bio. children) do not need to sign the deed so the fact that you can't make contact with the one will not prevent you from transferring the title.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating