How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a notice to defend. How do I file to defend in a

Customer Question

I received a notice to defend. How do I file to defend in a summary judgement
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
I assume you have already filed an answer at this point, so the Plaintiff has filed a motion for summary judgment.
To defend against this motion, you will have to file an "opposition" to the motion.
An "MSJ" is a very serious matter for a party as it is a "dispositive motion" (one that can dispose of the entire case prior to trial). This article: gives you a good overview of how to go about defending one of these motions, but I would highly recommend going to your local law library and checking out a set of books called "practice guides" (these are books that have strategy tips, legal authorities on specific issues, and often have templates and draft language that you can use in drafting your opposition).
If you are not represented by counsel, you may want to consider hiring an attorney to represent you. The earlier you retain an attorney, the more time they will have to draft your opposition for you.