How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116703
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in my daugter's house in a room that I spent 25,000

Customer Question

I live in my daugter's house in a room that I spent 25,000 to build. In total I have spent 40,000 on her home. She has moved her lover into the home and her spouse sleeps on the sofa in the basement. I am very much against this arrangement and have said so. I was told it was none of my business and due to that refuse to speak to the new resident. My daughter has on several occassions verbally abused me and asked me to move out. I cannot afford to do so as I quit a decent paying, union job 7 years ago to care for her 1st born child. She pays me 800.00 a month to do so and 2 1/2 years ago a second child came along. I do not pay any rent and she also pays my car insurance but I am like an outcast in my home now and actually consider taking myself out of this life from time to time. I do not however, want to hurt my grandchildren. Do I have any say in the immoral action in this house? Where do I stand legally? Many Thanks for Your Response
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Unfortunately, if her name is ***** ***** deed, even though you paid to build a room, it is her house and she gets to make the rules. Legally, she could actually seek to evict you if you refuse to move out, because under the law you would be treated as any other tenant and she can give you 30 day written notice to move and if you do not, then she would have to go to court to evict you. If you paid $25,000 to improve her home though, you could sue her for reimbursement for that expense, since your payment for the improvement caused it to increase in value. If you want to stay though and do want to care for your grandchildren, I am afraid that as long as the house is in her name, it is her house and her rules so you would have no recourse other than to ignore what is going on and not make any waves about it.