Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

We had a home security firm come into our home, about a month

Customer Question
ago, to install a home...
We had a home security firm come into our home, about a month ago, to install a home security system. The companies name was Alder, out of Salt Lake City Utah. The two installers had access to our up stairs floor. They finished about 1:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning. About 10:00 that same morning, my wife missed two rings, her wedding ring, a emerald ring both valued at five thousand dollars. A little later in the morning she ask me if I had checked my rings out and I said no. My diamond cluster ring and masonic ring valued at two thousand dollars was also missing from our dresser but in a different location from hers. They were on opposite ends of the dresser. I have talked with the companies lawyer and had no results. I have also turned this situation over to the local police department here in Groves, Texas. Both installers have denied taking the four rings. Is this situation something you would be interested in looking into? Thanks, ***** ***** Green,(###) ###-####*****, Groves, Texas 77619
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2015
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,
Please understand that we cannot represent you, as your attorney, in any legal proceeding or action. We answer legal questions. I would be happy to discuss your dilemma with you though.
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
No thanks
I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.
Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.
I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.
Doug
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.I must be square with you, unfortunately, unless you can prove that they took the rings or saw them take the rings, the police are going to take a theft report, but until they catch these guys with the rings or catch them pawning them, the police will not be able to pursue much other than report the lost or stolen property (which is how they must report it). In order for any criminal charges to stem from this they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the techs took the rings and without being seen taking them, that will not happen in criminal court. On the level, if you file a civil suit, you would have to prove you saw the rings prior to them going into the room and immediately upon them leaving the home they were missing, since civil court has the standard of a preponderance of the evidence, which means that you only need to prove it was more likely than not that the technicians took the rings and the company would be responsible for doing so. I would suggest filing suit against the company and the two technicians personally and take the matter through the civil courts and seek damages. Also if you have homeowners insurance you can make a claim with homeowners for the loss.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney