My ex boyfriend is saying my dog bit his daughter and my dog…

Customer Question
my ex boyfriend is saying...
my ex boyfriend is saying my dog bit his daughter and my dog didnt can he take legal action she does have a bite mark but she has two pit bulls at her moms and her dad has a dog i dont know what dog did it but it wasnt mine cuz she never around him when she came over but he is just telling his attorny my dog did because he is mad over the break up can he do this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/19/2015
Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
To answer your question directly, yes he can sue you, but it sounds like he will have problems proving his case. Since he would be the plaintiff, he has the burden of proof, so he'd be responsible for getting some evidence that it was your dog that bit his daughter. That would likely be done by either eyewitnesses (most likely) or bite analysis where someone compares the bite marks to the teeth in your dog's mouth. So, to answer your question if he CAN bring suit - yes, anyone has the right to bring a lawsuit. The real question here seems to be can he win. Based on what you've said, that would be very difficult unless he comes into court and lies.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.