CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Is there a time limit in CA to take someone to claims court

Customer Question

I had asked you a question last year titled 'I lent a friend a large sum of money approx $32,500' but the lawyer who advised me back then is no longer on this website.

I am finally in a financial position to open an unlimited justice case against that person but before I paid for a lawyer I just wanted to know if there was a time limit to open a case like this in the state of California. He was meant to have paid me back by April 2014.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

You are probably going to be filing under breach of oral contract - this has a statute of limitations of 2 years (the 2 years "accures" (starts) at the time that the defendant first breaches the contract - so when they were first supposed to pay you back and failed to do so).
If you had a written contract, the statute is 4 years.
(See: http://www.courts.ca.gov/9618.htm).