How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20363
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My story is a bit complicated. I cant really find a catagory

Customer Question

my story is a bit complicated. I cant really find a catagory it would be in. Ill do the best i can.. here goes. Im 50 yrs old living in Ca & i live with and care for my mother (86 yrs old), when moms health got very bad, my sister who lives in Montana came to Ca to help me with mom. she brought her 36 year old son with her She stayed for 2.5 months and was great help for me, however during her stay that son of hers, she should have left him somewhere on the side of the road ! He stole anything and everything, 4 guns, speakers, stereos,antiques, went thru every drawer and cabinet & oh yea i forgot to mention he is a drug addict, which i didnt know untill they were here. He left his used needles everywhere, he had no shame. he was caught at walmart shoplifting and never went to court, so he should have a FTA in california, They went back to Montana & he (my nephew) got right back on a bus to california again. said he had to take care of his court case. when he showed up my 86 year old mother told him he could not stay with us & by the way he had brought a friend with him ! so he went camping in the mountains. a week later he came onto the property thru the back way so my mother could not see him & asked if i would take him to town to the bus stop. (Mother and i live in seperate houses but on the same property)I told him "sure" but i had to fix mom something to eat first& I went inside. this is when he went inside my house , took my purse with my car keys and stole my car. during the next month my sister and her husband bought me a new car and im grateful but,also devistated,violated,hurt, betrayed etc etc....other things he took cannot or have not been replaced. this person (my nephew) had some kind of drug charges pending in Montana before coming to california. he is now back in montana and in jail, picked up again for shoplifting at walmart. My question is.. would it be appropriate for me to write a letter to the district attourney in montana to tell the impact this person has left in his wake? im so angry, i want his stay in jail to be as long as it can be, but i dont know if i can make a difference ? I appreciate your opinion & thanks for your time and effort
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me if he was charged in CA for stealing from you or your mother? Was he charged for stealing your car? Does he still have the theft charge pending in CA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i made a report with the highway patrol about my stolen car but no he was not caught in it. it was rec overed in los angeles a month later. i also didnt make any report of my guns that were stolen because i didnt have the serial numbers and i didnt know the guns were gone until he stole my car
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, although I don't see where you responded to whether or not the Walmart theft charge is still pending against him. In any event,there would be nothing wrong or illegal with you contacting the Montana DA who has this case and informing them of what you know about your nephews activities in CA. The DA is limited in what they can use as actual evidence in the case in chief against your nephew, but the information can help with sentencing issues and may lead the DA to contact the DA in CA to see if there are any outstanding charges they could file. So, again, nothing wrong with doing what you are wanting to do.
Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 17th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:
Thank you.