Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am in the process of understanding my rights if a UPS driver

Customer Question

I am in the process of understanding my rights if a UPS driver kicked a 7 lb. poodle on my property and used profanity. This occurred yesterday and I am waiting for UPS to call me. He was 200+ pounds wearing combat boots and the xray shoes that he has 2 broken ribs.
I have has the police and animal service form Venice and Sarasota , FL set up case files thus far. I would like to have a local group that gives free help for animal cruelity cases.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I am sorry to hear your pet was injured in this manner.
UPS and Postal carriers do not have to enter a property where there is a dog on the premises. And therefore there was no just cause for the man to kick your pet. And so I just want you to have that information for when you get a call from UPS. Their employees have an option to pass you by. And so if they say your little dog attacked them, I suggest, you mention that if he was afraid to come in the yard, he should have passed you by as required by UPS policy.
As far as an attorney, I suggest you can contact your state Bar Association for a legal referral. If you tell me your state, I can provide you that contact information.
You also can check with your local library and they have list of pet advocacy groups and they may have a lead for a local attorney who helps them pro bono