Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was given a summons to appear in court because

Customer Question

I was given a summons to appear in court because I mistakenly carried a knife into Saint louis inernational airport...What do I do?
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
How was it carried in?
.
Did you have it packed in a bag?
.
Or was it concealed on your person?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was packed in my carryon

Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Ok, were you charged with carrying a concealed weapon?
.
Have you talked to an attorney?
.
Are you planning on disputing the charge or just pleading and accepting whatever penalty they impose?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the paper says Airport Police Arrest Notification. Concealed Weapon Prohibited in violation of section 716.80,penalty may be found in section 716.130

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont want this to be on my record and for me to being flagged. I would like to talk with an attourney

Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I can't find that statute under the Missouri Penal Code, the TSA rules or federal law, but this is likely being charged as a class A misdemeanor. Most of these concealed weapons charges are.
.
But in order to convict, they have to prove intent, which isn't here because it was a mistake and not intentional.
.
With that said, if they aren't willing to offer to drop it to a lesser charge and give you "diversion" which will keep it off your record if you complete a probationary period, then you will need to talk to a good criminal defense attorney to fight the charge.
.
So when you appear for the summons, that will be the arraignment where they will tell you the charge and the prosecutor may make an offer for a plea of guilty.
.
If they don't offer diversion, then it would be a good idea to plead not guilty and then talke to an attorney before your next pretrial, which will be a few weeks off.
.
.
thanks