How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I AM SUING A ROOFER in small claims court, FINISHING

Customer Question

i AM SUING A ROOFER in small claims court, FOR NOT FINISHING MY HOUSE. He was paid in full. I merely asked for an invoice to prove the cost of the materials, so I could determine how much of my money is to be refunded. He says he doesn't do that????
Do I need an attorney ? Jim Bistok
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, Jim. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, if you are purely going via small claims, you do not need an attorney. Small claims is designed to be more informal and for 'pro se' (self representing) petitioners. As such, unless your damages are higher than the small claims court amount, you can handle this on your own without representation.
As far as an invoice for the materials, that is generally provided if you are paying per each portion of the project, but if you agreed on a lump sum, provided he does not charge you more than that amount, he does not really have to provide you the cost--most do, purely as a sign of good faith and to show that what was purchased for you is what you requested.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Legal Questions