What is the legal obligation of a finder of lost property,

Customer Question
specifically with regard to custodial...
What is the legal obligation of a finder of lost property, specifically with regard to custodial responsibilities? For example, if in the process of returning and/or holding for safekeeping an item wherein are contained multiple items, some of said items were lost, stolen or destroyed? May the finder and/or the custodian of the property be criminally liable for their failure to provide for their secure custody?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/16/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Can you explain a little more about your situation? Is the lost property something where the finder would easily be able to ascertain the identity of the true owner? Or was it someone you know, who clearly would know the item belonged to you?
What type of items are you talking about? Did the finder agree to hold these items for safekeeping after finding out who the owner is?