How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to locate my deceased father's last 4 numbers of

Customer Question

I am trying to locate my deceased father's last 4 numbers of his social security number. He passed away in 2013. I received mail today notifying me that funds were being held for me, but I have to be able to give them that information and I do not have it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Before you ask anyone else to help you collect money owed to your father, check the state's unclaimed property database. There are people and companies that search these databases and then offer to help you collect the money for a fee, but there's truly no reason to pay them - you can make the request yourself directly through the state.
You can request a death certificate from the state.
Another option is to search the Social Security Death Index and see what information they can give you. There are a couple of options for a free search.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.