I stayed in a room that was paid the company I work

Customer Question
I stayed in a room...
I stayed in a room that was paid for by the company I work for Norfolk Southern. The hotel staff took pictures of my room and showed them to my co-workers. I am not working directly for the company I am in the BRS Union. The hotel staff showed pictures of my room to my fellow BRS union coworkers and complained that it was messy. Now my co-workers are harassing me about it. Did the hotel breach contract? Can I sue them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/15/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Unfortunately there is not an "expectation of privacy" in your hotel room, and while the hotel staff should not have done what they did, it is not likely that you would prevail in any civil action against them.You can (and perhaps should) complain to hotel management about their unprofessional behavior - and perhaps the hotel can compensate you personally for this (provide room comps for you to use if you or your family were to vacation, etc.), but as far as forcing a remedy, I do not believe that this would be a worthwhile use of your time.
The hotel manager said that they had no right to take pictures of my room and show them to people I work with. It was Candlewood Suites a major hotel brand. I think that it was unethical and caused defamation of character and interfered with my ability to do my job.
The actual torts for defamation (either slander or libel) require that the statement be false, in your case, the employees spread information that was true (they shouldn't have done this, and the hotel should compensate you for their employees having done it - but this isn't the same as creating a private cause of action for defamation).While an act is unethical, it does not necessarily mean that it is "actionable" (meaning there is a civil cause of action that you can use to sue the person over it).The fact that this is a nationwide chain is what I was proposing you could use as leverage to get some form of compensation from the hotel for their employees' actions.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney