How do I obtain a video that was used in my case from tom thumb…

Customer Question
How do I obtain a...
How do I obtain a video that was used in my case from tom thumb .it is not in my file and I do not want to ask the lawyer that represented me . how can I obtain a copy
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2015
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 3 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Is the case still open? What was the video used for? Did your attorney have a copy at any time? Just trying to get a good idea of what is going on?

I am on felony probation and signed a plea for a crime I didn't commit ... Yes he had a copy but said he had to give it back to state attorney. My lawyer misrepresented me and I do not want him to cause me any grief or problems by asking him for it.

Thank you. Can you also share with me why you want it now though? If the case is closed, I am trying to determine the need for the video?

I feel it is my right to have and I have been treated badly in this city .. And I really want it just for the fact it wasn't given to me in my file

If the State turned it over during the discovery process and was used against you, your attorney had a right to make a copy of it. The tape is not likely just sitting in the actual court file with the clerk of court and is in possession of the State Attorney. If the case is closed, there is going to need a legal basis for you to obtain a copy of it from them. At this point, you can try and make a written demand for it on your own to the State attorneys office and provide them with a disk to copy it onto and any other costs associated with it. If they decline, then an attorney would need to get involved. While I understand your feelings regarding the situation, it is not necessary something that is just kept or something that a defendant has a right to have after the case is over, since it is evidence which belongs to the State of Florida.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!