Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My step-father murdered my mother in October 2007. At the time

Customer Question
he was employed by Giant...
My step-father murdered my mother in October 2007. At the time he was employed by Giant Foods, was a part of a union and had a pension. Some of the theories of why he murdered her was that they were separated and he did not want to have to give her any of his pension. I want to go after him for her portion, or what would have been owed to her. He was convicted and sentences to life in prison without the possibility of parole. How would I go about finding out what happened to his pension and can I pursue getting my mother’s entitlement.. or what would have been?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you open probate on your mom's estate?
I believe so.
It's been a while, I did have an attorney at the time that did something...
Thank you for your reply.
You would need an attorney to do this, as you would be suing for his pension on behalf of her estate and as such the estate has to be represented by an attorney. The union is not going to give you information about his pension. You will have to actually sue him for his pension and through that process you would subpoena the pension plan for the information about his pension so you know what is available for you to seek to recover on behalf of your mom.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney