How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are considering Legal Separation. We are in

Customer Question

My husband and I are considering Legal Separation. We are in agreement on this matter. We are needing to find out if I would be able to draw his Social Security even if he is not drawing it and has not retired. I have read some Social Security articles on line and they say divorced spouces can draw but not married. Please give me an answer asap. Thank You
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Social Security does not provide divorced spouse benefits to couples that have obtained a legal separation rather than a divorce, they provide spousal benefits. What that means is that you would have to meet the requirements for spousal benefits - you must be at least age 62, married for at least 10 years, and your husband must be receiving benefits. If your husband is full retirement age, he could apply for benefits and then suspend them, which would allow you to receive benefits based on his earnings record, but he would be able to get delayed retirement credits toward his own benefits.
Note that to get divorced spouse benefits when your husband is eligible for but not receiving benefits, you'd have to have been divorced for at least two years, so even if a legal separation were treated as a divorce, you'd have to wait two years before you could claim benefits on his record.
You also have the ability to seek spousal support until your husband reaches full retirement age, as part of a legal separation or divorce, to ensure that you have enough income to meet your needs.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.