Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Shop A started the repair job and called to pick it up it's

Customer Question

Shop A started the repair job and called to pick it up it's been fixed. I went paid the bill and took off. Before making it home problem occurs again. Brought it back to shop A. Two day later Shop A called saying they don't know what's wrong the part they
install is a brand new and still spitting out codes therefore take it to shop B. Shop B runs it diagnostic and fix the codes. The car is fixed problem gone and never come back. Shop B billed me about few dollars more than shop A. Question: Shall I ask shop
A for a refund so I can paid shop B or just pay shop B shop A can not be refundable?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you kindly for requesting me to assist you this morning.
The question depends on the work done. If the shop genuinely replaced parts but could not find the codes, they are entitled to receive work for the labor provided. As far asking for some discount, you are free to do so, BUT keep in mind that giving a discount is at their discretion. Here, if they didn't do things worse (they didn't add the codes or caused the break), they aren't liable for more work if they couldn't fix it and attempted to do so under good faith. But if they ended up breaking the item further and then B had to come in to repair, you can request that they cover the additional costs to repair.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.