How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118682
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did not know I had an overpayment in 2009 from unemployment

Customer Question

I did not know I had an overpayment in 2009 from unemployment of Michigan it was for 9k!They sent letters for me to come in office for hearing!I never got the notices because I took out of state Job!I found out in Feb because they took 20 K from my federal return!I also was issued warrant in 2012 because I ignored letters!I have paid overpayment back and am going to pay entire penalties back!They said because I did not respond it was fraud!I just want to move on !If everything is paid will they act on the warrant?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once the warrant is issued, they have to execute on that warrant, it is not going away until you surrender to the court. Now, the criminal charges may get dismissed if you work an agreement with the DA to make payment, but you must have a local criminal defense attorney and you need to have him arrange your surrender on the warrant so the warrant would be pulled from the system and you are not arrested when you least want to be arrested on the warrant. Once he does that, then he can negotiate a repayment with the DA and unemployment to get the fraud charges dismissed. That is the only way to deal with this now once you did not respond to them and they obtained the warrant.