How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116740
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in GA. How do I obtain evidence on a cyber harassment organized by a stalker who li

Customer Question

I live in GA. How do I obtain evidence on a cyber harassment organized by a stalker who lives in Hendersonville , TN that is presentable in court in GA ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In brief the stalker is running a discussion group that is accessed by coworkers.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Can you be more specific about what you are asking, since the evidence would be anything that is in the discussion group which you would download from the site and also can print the screens and take screen shots of the posts? Also, you have proof of who specifically is doing this stalking for sure (you have verified it is his site etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The discussion group is secretive and not disclosed by participants as they are being told by the stalker that they will be sued if they show it. I suspect it is an email chain or a google group. I know the person (the stalker) who is using the hackers to capture everyday info through hacks and posting defamatory interpretations that snowball in the group. But to prove identity I need to hire a hacker (which doesn't help as presentable evidence) or file a John Doe.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You would have to file a John Doe suit and then you would have to issue subpoenas to the parties you believe involved to turn over copies of any and all emails or group discussions. You would have to also subpoena the internet service provider and any site domain hosts to get site owner information.
To dig all of the information up to know where to direct the subpoenas, you really would need a computer expert to get in and find the information and provide you the information on names of people, IP addresses, Domain Ownership so that you could properly send out subpoenas to get the information properly to present as evidence in the court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is along the lines I was thinking. Do you help with filing John Doe cases ? What minimum information is needed to file one in State of GA ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid that state laws forbid any attorney from this site in engaging in representation, which includes filing or preparing pleadings. You would need to engage an attorney in TN, if that is where you believe the offending party resides, to prepare and file the suit. However, before you file anything you really need the computer expert to examine the computer and dig up as much information as possible on the individual or individuals so you know where to send the subpoenas or even file suit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That helps. The challenge then is for the computer expert. The computer expert will have to legally monitor the email and IP address of the stalker to identify the discussion group URL. Then find the posters and administrators for subpoena. Can a computer expert be hired to perform the above task without violating privacy rights of the stalker ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you suggest from your experience any agencies or associates who are computer experts who provide the service mentioned ? I have approached FBI and Local Police. Either were of limited help.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, the challenge is getting a computer expert. Yes, they can track electronic stalkers without violating laws. Unfortunately, we cannot make any personal referrals, but usually the local university computer engineering or computer science departments have computer forensic experts who can assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will follow up with computer forensic experts and see if they can help. Often the hacks come through Bangalore India or Russian servers that are difficult to trace. But if they can monitor the IP address and email at the recipient (stalker's) end that will help. Thank you for your time and assistance. My direct email is***@******.***
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback as the experts are not employees of this site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless the customer leaves positive feedback.

Related Legal Questions