Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I stored a car tenant of mine and he never came back

Customer Question

I stored a car for a tenant of mine and he never came back to pay.so I liend sale through a company. Started lien in April 15 2015. On may 13 2015 some girl comes out of the blue files car stolen and gives Dmv a fake bill of sale. Now there is a doj on the car.this girl never bought this car.I have had this car in my possession from day one.car was bought in Florida and shipped to CA. Prior to car being reported stolen lien papers were sent out and owner was notified of lien sale. What leagle ground do I have chp is coming to see the car in question. Like I said I have the car its in my possession what can I do
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, how can you be sure that this car wasn't purchased? I ask because the person does not have to purchase the vehicle directly. Also, when was this purchase dated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This car was bought in Florida from a car auction then deleverd to my house where my tenent rented a shop from me and this car was never a CA car I have all shipping paper work copy of cashier check and this girl says she bought it from a used car lot that doesn't excite. Sighend some else name that never owned it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Car was bought in Dec 2014 in Florida I filed lien in april 15 2015 .she files car stolen in may 13 2015
Thank you for your follow-up.
CHP has a duty to review documentation as well as double-check VIN numbers as far as whether or not the vehicle was stolen, or when it was sold. You can provide them with a copy of your own title work as proof of ownership, and likewise you can provide evidence of fraud. If the police somehow believe this person you can also file suit directly for fraud and also for 'conversion' (theft) of your personal property.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.