I drive a car in my mothers name.if i have a wreck can they…

Customer Question
I drive a car in...
I drive a car in my mothers name.if i have a wreck can they sue her.will her 2 million umbrella policy cover her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/13/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Your mother is only responsible as the owner of the vehicle if there is evidence that you are an incompetent, reckless, or bad driver and your mother knew that you were a bad driver when she agreed to let you borrow the car. Essentially, they'd have to be able to prove that she made a mistake in letting you drive, and that her mistake caused the accident.
Whether her umbrella policy will cover her depends on the terms of the policy itself, but typically, it would cover any liability arising out of or related to the vehicles that she owns. Note that if you drive the car regularly and are not listed on her car insurance policy as a driver, you may be excluded from coverage. In that case, the umbrella policy likely wouldn't cover her. If she's not sure what the policy covers, she should talk to the insurance company.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney