I found out the 3rd of sept 2013 that my ex wife with whom i…

Customer Question
i found out the 3rd...
i found out the 3rd of sept 2013 that my ex wife with whom i owned a property had been forging my signature to renew mortgages at the bank i imediately contacted the bank they failed to address the issue, my ex died the 24th of sept 2013 can i sue her
estate
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/12/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Yes, you can. The statute of limitations for fraud is very short though (in most states it is 2 years (See this state by state comparison: http://www.statuteoflimitations.net/fraud.html), but the estate is liable for the same liabilities and causes of action that your ex-wife was prior to her death.I do recommend retaining counsel for this type of action - particularly as you will need to move quickly and navigate the overlap between probate and civil court in order to get your claim to judgment and enforce it in probate.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).