How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20243
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was assaulted and had to have plastic surgery to his

Customer Question

My son was assaulted and had to have plastic surgery to his face. 2 days later the attacker commited suicide. Is there any legal actions he can take to get compensated for his hospital bills and future treatment needed since the attacker is deceased ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you please tell me if the person who assaulted your son was over or under 18 years of age? If under, did they have any history of this sort of behavior? If over, do you know if they have an estate of an size?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He was 30 and was his daughters boyfriend. He had a Bad criminal record. We have no knowledge of an estate but he did work for a construction company (union) and may have a life insurance .

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello again and thank you for that information. Although your son can file suit against this person's estate, if they don't have much by way of assets, his recovery may be limited. Life insurance is not part of an estate, so normally that would not be included in assets of the estate and determining whether it has any assets to attach. But, he still will want to sit down with a local personal injury attorney as soon as possible and discuss filing suit against this man's estate. At least he should try to and see what he might be able to recover.

That said, there is no individual that would be responsible for this (other than the person who did it) and his work wouldn't be responsible unless the guy was working when he assaulted your son. In that case, your son might be able to file suit against the employer.

If he had been under 18 and had a history, then his parents could have been sued. But, in this case, that is not an option.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 12th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.