I have a complicated work issue. I wrote a story based on a…

Customer Question
I have a complicated work...
I have a complicated work issue. I wrote a story based on a rescue dog (boss's dog) inspired by the students' love of this mutt. I copywrited it to protect my rights and then suggested we run an art contest to illustrate it awarding about 50 kids an assignment. I ran an art show with their work, read part of the story and also featured a song about the dog, written by someone else. My boss decided to fire me to take control of the project, told all involved i quit (making me look really bad) and is now going to profit from my work (that was NOT for hire) but you use for the project with the intent to help attract attention to the studio, and ultimately more students, more classes, more work. The boss is benefiting from my intellectual and written property and refuses to even answer my inquiries. I am a single Mom w mortgage, college tuition etc and really need help. Also, the art world is a small one and it is very hard to get a job when your reputation is tainted and you appear to have quit.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am a licensed New Jersey professional and will do my best to help out.
If I may ask, were you an employee or a contractor? Also, did you create this while on company time, or on your own time? I ask to see to figure out who actually owns the work and whether or not your past boss has the right to this property, or you do. Thank you!