How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13486
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue bigamy case with which lawyer to my husband because

Customer Question

Can I sue bigamy case with which lawyer to my husband because he married another woman before legal divorce with me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Maryland law, like the laws of most states, prohibits bigamy, which is entering into a marriage while already married to a living person. In Maryland, the bigamy law does not apply if:
a person's previous lawful spouse has been absent from the person for a continuous period of 7 years, and
the person does not know where the person's previous lawful spouse is living at the time of the subsequent marriage ceremony.
In Maryland, bigamy is a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to 9 years. As it is a criminal offense, you don't need to hire a lawyer -the state must decide whether it will prosecute him for such a matter. You would want to contact the prosecutor's office in your county regarding the potential bigamy charge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
I don't do phone calls on this site, but I am happy to discuss things further here. Please reply back to me here with any additional questions you have about this matter.