How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102348
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was issued a social security number with my birth name and

Customer Question

I was issued a social security number with my birth name and another with my adopted name. I turned in one and it is still a valid number.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. This happens once in a while and is mostly due to human error. There is no specific course of action to fix it aside from making a quick trip to the closest Social Security office and explaining the situation. Along, one wants to being proof of identity and a paper trail for the adoption - i.e. any and all paperwork available.
The SSA clerks should then proceed to internally correct the error. It may take some time (i.e. weeks, if not months) to find, correct, and "merge" the two identities, but they normally will.
This mostly happens with closed adoptions, which is then norm in VA. If this is the case, then one may contact the Virginia Department of Social Services - Report of Adoption Unit at(###) ###-####if the SSA needs any specific paperwork. There may be the requirement of needing to go to court to "unseal" records.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.