Can my landlord keep my security deposit? She terminated my…

Customer Question
Can my landlord keep my...
Can my landlord keep my security deposit? She terminated my lease early for breach of contract (pet and roommate violation). I vacated property in 10 days per her request. Now she's denying my request for deposit.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer will be unfavorable so please do not blame the messenger. In cases of breach the security deposit can be withheld as 'liquidated damages'. Even if you left in a timely manner, since you violated the terms and the unit is now vacant, the landlord can seek your security deposit as partial reimbursement for her lack of a paying occupant in your unit.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney