How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom is going on a long trip and wants me to be put on charge

Customer Question

my mom is going on a long trip and wants me to be put on charge of everything of hers "just in case." I am an only child, and have been told by her that she has updated her will, but I doubt it because she isn't very trustworthy when she says anything. I am not sure how to handle getting the first part of this book accomplished, and she wants to get something written up that both of us can get signed and notarized before she leaves today at 4 p.m. Mountain time. I am appreciative of your time and consideration for what you do. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
So what you are looking for is a Surable Power of Attorney? That will allow you to take care of your Mother's business such as financial or health should she need it while she is away.
Is that correct? She wants you to be able to handle her business if she needs to have something taken care of in her absence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. she wants it too say that if she dies while she is on this trip that none of her stuff will go into probate. she is afraid of that. She wants to make sure that what she has goes to me and not to probate because she is afraid it will take a long time for me to be able to get her belongings if that happens.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to transfer all the assets into a Trust for you or into your name and her name. If she has a Will and she is leaving you her belongings, that will help but it will still need to be probated depending on the size of the estate.
There is no way you can get this done in the time frame you have here. I suggest, you can consult with a local estate's attorney but it may not be possible to have it all done, unless the attorney will be able to fit you and your Mother in for the appointment. But this is not something that can usually be done at the last minute.
I suggest, you can ask her to review her will and make sure that she has it all done properly in that regard
But it does not mean it will avoid probate.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Please note, that I can only provide you information on what you asked. If you have other questions or need clarification, please post on this thread.
Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time in providing you true and correct information.
Thank you