How much does a legal name change usually cost. How long does…

Customer Question
How much does a legal...
How much does a legal name change usually cost. How long does it take.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/8/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Hi Terry,

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
The cost of a legal name change varies by county, but it typically costs only the filing fee, plus whatever you spend to get new copies of all of your documents in the new name. Call the clerk of your local courthouse tomorrow to see what they charge, but if you can't afford it, they should have forms you can use to request a waiver.
The process of changing your name is ***** ***** You're required to post notice of the change in the local newspaper for four weeks before your hearing. You can schedule the hearing before the notice has finished, as long as it's run for four weeks before you go to court. The total process should only take a couple of months.
Here are all of the forms and instructions to request the change.
http://ujs.sd.gov/Forms/namechange.aspx
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.