Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Was hired part time February 2014 as inspector OF utilities

Customer Question
on a project, never missed...
Was hired part time February 2014 as inspector OF utilities on a project, never missed a day OF work,hired full time November 1 2014 ,with full benefits. Worked on project in Lenoir City, tn never a complaint. Went to New job IN Harriman tn, inspector for a utility project,never missed a day,HAD accident in August of 2014 tore shoulder up,HAD surgery November 2015, could have taken a 6weeks leave,took 1week,then returned the client was not too happy with MY JOB yet never had a complaint. I have a state required settlement on the 22nd of June,for settlement OF injury. MY company called ME IN on Tuesday 2weeks ago tomorrow,and said WE need to part ways,with no explanation. Then hired a man as I was there TO do another job
It was not lack of work.
What is my recourse?
Thanks
ANDRE VEAL
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/8/2015
Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 2 years ago
John, Attorney
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.
Just to clarify, this injury occurred on the job, correct?
Yes
It was on the Lenoir City project
Are you there
I see. Your recourse is to file a lawsuit, and you have a good case at that. Specifically you have all the elements of an actionable retaliatory discharge - you allege can show(1) plaintiff was an employee at time of injury; (2) plaintiff made a claim against defendant’s worker compensation benefits; (3) defendant terminated plaintiff’s employment; (4) claim for workers’ compensation benefits was a substantial factor in employer’s motivation to terminate employee. It would then be the employer's response to attempt to show it was not the workers compensation claim but some other factor that caused them to terminate you. You already stated they hired someone else, so they cannot claim job elimination. So they'd have to show something in your work history, which I assume you'll have a good record. So, they cannot disprove your allegations.
I'd recommend you get an attorney before you sign off on this workers comp settlement because they may be asking that you waive claims against the employer, which you do not want to do if you plan to sue them.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
John, Attorney