Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A few months ago I was getting approval notices of online loans

Customer Question
from multiple out-of-state companies, that...
A few months ago I was getting approval notices of online loans from multiple out-of-state companies, that I had not applied for. When I contacted all of the companies by email asking when it was applied for, to ensure it was not identity theft they would reply w/template email that at one time I had applied, and I could use the unsubscribe link. After researching I found that it was the same person emailing in response from multiple companies. I contacted her by email stating by the laws of FL terms of use, that if I made a request by email, they are legally obligated to send me all information of who they have given my information out to. This was back in April. I have contacted multiple times requesting that information and have mentioned each time that it would come to this conclusion, that I have to file a lawsuit. Since I have had to spend multiple hours (about 15) thru this mess, what is my next step of holding them accountable and collecting for damages?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/8/2015
Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you. Have you actually brought suit yet?
No, I am researching how to go about filing a suit on a company in a different state. Can I forward you the emails that I have gone thru w/them?
We can only communicate through this forum. If you want, you can copy and paste the emails in this chat.
k, wait one
Per my multiple requests since 4/18/14 for you to send me my information, that still you still have not sent me, you have left me no choice but to proceed to the next step of obtaining this information that by law is my right to request, and by that same law you are obligated to honor.Kind regards,
Jack GouldFrom: Jack Gould [mailto***@******.***]
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:21 AM
To: '*****@******.***'
Subject: RE: Quick Funds AvailableAt opening of business 5/18/15, this request will be 30 days old. That is more than sufficient time to reply to my email. There are laws on both sides of your company; laws that the customer has to abide by, and laws that the lender (that being you) has to abide by.
Once again, I want a list of all sites you have given any of my information to; Name, Physical Addresses, Email Address. That is my right per the law that you need to abide by also. If I do not receive that email within the next 15 days, 6/1/15 (which will be 45 days for a simple request) I will then move forward in my process of holding you accountable.Kind regards,
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:57 AM
To: '*****@******.***'
Subject: RE: Quick Funds Available
Importance: HighThank you for contacting me Aimee. I notice that your name and employer are associated with at least Sydney Financial, peopleslendingnetwork, onehour cash, and fast internet loans. It does not appear that I need to look for any others, as you will be providing that information to me. I would like to reiterate that it is not the fact that I am getting these emails; I am fully aware how simple it is to unsubscribe.
You and your employer have created this complication due to me trying to get a simple answer from the lack of customer service skills in a department of people that only know how to reply with template email.
I want to know why all of a sudden I am getting “recently approved for” emails, as I have not applied for anything in at least 4+ years and I am wanting to ensure that someone is not attempting to fraudulently gain loans with my information.
Since this is such an issue to get a simple answer, I am copying the email that I sent to the peopleslendingnetwork prior to your additional template email, in hopes that you can assist in getting this issue resolved.
I hope for the sake of the peopleslendingnetwork my request is completed in a timely fashion. It does not say anywhere in your rules that it takes X amount of time to get this request, and people are more than happy to jump on class action law suits these days.According to your firm’s terms of use, I have the right for you to send all information that you have about me, to my email address. In the past week, I have been receiving multiple emails from you and Payday_Manager about applications I had submitted. I have not submitted any applications in years, so therefore I requested the information from your firm of when the requests were made to ensure it was not identity theft.In short, I want an email sent to this email address of all information you have pertaining to my name, email address, past and present physical addresses, and ALL of the other loan companies that you have given my information to, to ensure that someone is not attempting to fraudulently gain online loans with my information. I now see why there is not a phone number to contact you.Please ensure to complete my request ASAP.Kind regards,
Jack GouldP.S. Below is the mess of email exchange that started to find that information out.From: SF-Lending
Sent: ‎4/‎17/‎2015 9:00 AM
To:***@******.***
Subject: Exclusive Payday Offer
If you are having trouble viewing this email, click here.You opted in to receive these emails by providing your email address at icashtoday.com, you canunsubscribe hereif you do not want to receive these emails any longer.
Please add***@******.*** to your address book/ safe lists to make sure these emails reach your inbox.
April 16, 2015
Advance Funds Deposit
Based on your current status, we have matched you (click HERE)
with a lender that can provide you with a loan.
To receive funds, click here.
Best Regards,
Approval Services
Sydney FinancialThis email was sent to***@******.*** by***@******.***2172 W. Nine Mile Rd. #146 Pensacola, FL 32534
1-Click Unsubscribe | Edit Profile | Manage Subscriptions | Report SpamI have not applied for any type of loans, and this is the 3rd notification of my status change by different companies in the past 2 days.
Is this spam, or has there been loans applied for using my information?Jack GouldWhen did I opt for these e-mails then? Was it years ago?Sent from
That email is starting from the last one I sent them, to the beginning
OK. Thanks.
Have you pulled a copy of your credit report?
I looked at it a couple of weeks ago, and there were no new loans on it
Are you sure these are not the "spam" type of emails telling you that you've been "approved," but it's just a marketing ploy? If your credit report doesn't show a new loan, it is unlikely that there is one.
I understand that, also, by the laws that they hold people accountable by, they are to send me any information that they have of me, or have given to other companies, how are they able to side step that accountability?
When I first started getting the string of them, I was not aware that they were all coming from the same owner of many loan companies. That was not realized until I had to start researching and comparing.
You basically have two options: First, you can bring suit yourself in the county of their headquarters. Second, you can notify your state's attorney general, who can bring suit againt them o behalf of the citizens of your state. Bringing an out of state lawsuit on your own can be expensive and would require you to travel to their state on several occasions, so it may not be worth the time and expense, especially when you aren't even sure if an actual account has been opened.
Could I go about contacting the attorney general of FL to proceed on my behalf?
Yes. You can make a report to their consumer protection division and let them take it from there. Just to be clear, however, that doesn't mean they are required by law to puruse the matter.
And if the transaction (from years ago) took place in IA, could I not file here, and make them do the traveling?
If I'm understanding you correctly, no transaction that you are aware of ever actually happened. Still, you can file in your home state and make them at least show up to say you filed in the wrong state. That may be enough to get them to come around.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.
Tina, Lawyer