Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Can kaiser legally stop your pain Meds if you are using medical

Customer Question

Can kaiser legally stop your pain Meds if you are using medical cannabis for pain and other ailments ?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
To answer your question directly, yes, your health care provider can stop a patient's medications for any number of reasons and as they see fit. A person does not have a legal right to a prescription. If the physician harms a person by refusing to prescribe medication, they run the risk of being sued, but a person would have to prove that the doctor was negligent and acted unreasonably. Essentially, the doctor has complete control over what meds are prescribed, but can be sued if the prescription is withheld for a medically unjustifiable reason and that causes the patient harm.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.