I feel violated! We rented a vacation home through vacasa.com…

Customer Question
I feel violated! We...
I feel violated! We rented a vacation home through vacasa.com / vrbo.com to spend a romantic birthday. We were shocked to find at the end of our stay that the house has installed indoor clandestine security cameras (one under and behind a curtain valence in the living room). All cameras we found faced inside of the house - none of them faced outdoor. We were not notified about any surveillance on either website, nor when receiving instructions / information about the property. We spoke to the property manager today who confirmed it's a live recording that is stored (but she did not know who owned the footage). She said it was overwritten every 14 days, but could provide no proof that was the case. Though cameras, as far as we know, were not in bedrooms or bathrooms - we have no way of knowing what was captured, where it is stored, when it will be deleted, what it can be used for. I feel like without any forewarning, and without express consent, we had a reasonable expectation that our stay would be private throughout the house while renting. Do we have any legal right to request confirmation and/or proof that the video is destroyed or overwritten? Is there legal expectation to our rights to privacy while in a rental home? Is it legal to record us without any consent?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/8/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Good grief, just to be clear, this was inside the home, and at places such as living rooms, kitchen, and the rest?
To answer directly, you better believe that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy while at a PRIVATE residence, be it a vacation home (or a hotel room), and you are NOT able to be filmed without consent. This violates California law outright, and you can sue for damages as well as potentially demand and seek criminal charges. As far as a legal right to demand confirmation, I am afraid you do not have that, but you can sue to receive such confirmation which they would then have to provide.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.