How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was one of those who used Stead Law Firm. I was up to date

Customer Question

I was one of those who used Stead Law Firm. I was up to date on my Mtg payments and they suggested a loan modification with our lender. Our income has drastically been reduced because of my husband now being retired, so we thought we would give them a try. We gave them an upfront fee, to get the process started. This process has finally come to an end, needless to say we were denied. Our lender felt that because we still made our mortgage payments on time, we did not qualify. My question is, from the beginning Stead Law Firm told us that if this process was denied we would receive 2/3rd of our fee back. At this present time we have not received any correspondence from them. Our lender sent us the letters of denial. This whole process has taken too long, I just want it over with ! Any suggestions for us ? They are based out of Irvine,CA and we live in Honolulu,HI
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Before you do anything else, you need to contact the State Bar of California (1-***-***-****) and explain that the law firm collected an up front fee from you. California lawyers are not permitted to be paid any amount concerning loan modifications of residential properties, unless and until they accomplish everything that they promise. So, you may be entitled to recover all of your money from the law firm. If the business turns out to be a scam, you may be directed to the California Attorney General or Orange County District Attorney, because the organization may be engaged in the criminal unauthorized practice of law. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using!