Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have recently broken up with my boyfriend who owes me almost

Customer Question
$10,000. Is there a...
I have recently broken up with my boyfriend who owes me almost $10,000. Is there a legal way that I can get my money from him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/7/2015
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
What is the money for?
.
Is there any type of written agreement for him to repay you?
.
Do you have evidence of him admitting the debt and promising to repay? (i.e. texts, emails, letters, etc.)
.
.
thanks
credit card, money for down payment on his truck, which is in my name because he has bad credit, clothing, etc. I have credit
card statements etc.
I do have a text message saying he will pay me every cent
Ok, are you actually on the title to the vehicle alone?
.
Was there ever any set payment agreement such as he will pay you $XXX per month until he repays you?
.
.
thanks
my name is ***** ***** he does make pymt. He never paid back down payment. credit card is joint but has his name & different number, and he is only one using that acct. has borrowed money for other things, i can document.
Ok, if he has never repaid debts that you either paid on his behalf or for loans that you made him, then your recourse here would be to file suit against him in court for breach of contract. If you have proof of the loans/debts and proof that he acknowledges that they are his and he will repay them, then you have what you need to win.
.
The issue here is that if the amount you are seeking is over $3,000, then you can't sue in small claims court and would have to hire an attorney and sue him in a higher court like District court to get a judgment. You wouldn't be able to add in your attorney costs unless he agreed to pay them but once you got a judgment against him, you can garnish his wages up to 25% until your judgment is repaid.
.
This is, assuming that you don't reach some type of settlement with him prior to court..
.
.
thanks
ok thank
oops thank you
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..
.
If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.
.
.
thanks much
Barrister, Attorney