Can a property tax accessor in the state of washington legally…

Customer Question
Can a property tax accessor...
Can a property tax accessor in the state of washington legally threaten a property owner with perjury in answer to questions of tax exemptions
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/7/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Your declaration on the tax exemption form is made under penalty of perjury - so there is an actual "threat" that you can be prosecuted for perjuring yourself if you give false information on this form.I'm not sure what the details of your situation are, but an official warning you that giving false information will result in a perjury suit is going to result in any action.If you feel that you were treated improperly by a public official, you can file a complaint here: http://www.ethics.wa.gov/ENFORCEMENT/File_A_Complaint.htm
If the form that was signed was signed by another person FOR the person asking for exemption does that help?The accessor came onto property that the owner did not live on but had originally intended to live on.He sold on a lease option because he couldn't afford the property.He is 81,disabled vet with some confusion problems, so his ex wife signed a reduced tax exemption form for him.The exemption for reduced taxes now doesn't apply because he doesn't live in the house but on an adjacent property being helped by his ex wife who is 75.I'm trying to help them out as a friend because accessor states because they perjured them selves they must pay a tax penalty of 100%..Any thoughts?
They may be facing a penalty, but the defense is going to be based on the way the declaration was made at the time of the declaration being signed. Depending on the amount of the penalty at issue, it may be a good time to retain an attorney (or at a minimum a CPA with property tax experience) to represent this couple in the tax proceeding. It is possible to negotiate a reduction in the penalty while they may still owe the increased tax rate retroactively.(The greater the penalty or tax they are facing, the greater the value in hiring counsel).You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).