How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a property tax accessor in the state of washington legally

Customer Question

Can a property tax accessor in the state of washington legally threaten a property owner with perjury in answer to questions of tax exemptions
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Your declaration on the tax exemption form is made under penalty of perjury - so there is an actual "threat" that you can be prosecuted for perjuring yourself if you give false information on this form.I'm not sure what the details of your situation are, but an official warning you that giving false information will result in a perjury suit is going to result in any action.If you feel that you were treated improperly by a public official, you can file a complaint here:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the form that was signed was signed by another person FOR the person asking for exemption does that help?The accessor came onto property that the owner did not live on but had originally intended to live on.He sold on a lease option because he couldn't afford the property.He is 81,disabled vet with some confusion problems, so his ex wife signed a reduced tax exemption form for him.The exemption for reduced taxes now doesn't apply because he doesn't live in the house but on an adjacent property being helped by his ex wife who is 75.I'm trying to help them out as a friend because accessor states because they perjured them selves they must pay a tax penalty of 100%..Any thoughts?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
They may be facing a penalty, but the defense is going to be based on the way the declaration was made at the time of the declaration being signed. Depending on the amount of the penalty at issue, it may be a good time to retain an attorney (or at a minimum a CPA with property tax experience) to represent this couple in the tax proceeding. It is possible to negotiate a reduction in the penalty while they may still owe the increased tax rate retroactively.(The greater the penalty or tax they are facing, the greater the value in hiring counsel).You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Related Legal Questions