Can a sitting city commissioner with 140 days left to the election…

Customer Question
Can a sitting city commissioner...
Can a sitting city commissioner with 140 days left to the election run for mayor in the same city he is a commissioner. Does he have to resign as soon as he announces to run for Mayor.?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/7/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
In most cases, yes. The majority of municipalities do not require candidates to resign during the election period.Unfortunately election codes for municipalities are generally not published online (or if they are they are published by proprietary sites (such as LexisNexis or Westlaw) requiring additional fees - if you do decide to use one of these services, make sure to use their research attorneys - they can help you format your search so that you do not waste money (they charge by search as well as by document) and can help you locate your document more quickly)). You can find this information specific to your city/town for free by visiting your city or county registrar's office and requesting a copy of their code to confirm whether or not your city/town has a rule that is contrary to the above general rule (it is possible, even if it is unusual).